On Friday, April 15, over 200 people gathered at Cedarbrook Lodge in SeaTac to support Highline Schools Foundation at our annual Gold Star Awards Breakfast.
This much-anticipated celebration raised over $103,000 to benefit all students in Highline Public Schools by supporting their academic needs, college & career readiness programs, arts and athletic experiences in school, and many more unique and individual needs in Highline. Thank you very much to all who attended, donated, or sponsored!
“I am always inspired by the energy in the room at this event” said Foundation Executive Director, Ashley Fosberg, “this year, the collective pride in and support of our students was undeniable and overwhelming!”
Highlights from the 2016 Gold Star Awards Breakfast include:
- Music from The Shorewood Elementary School Choir, Director, Gary Ballou
- The surprise announcement of a $5,000 scholarship to Jesus Quinones from Highline High School awarded by Alaska Airlines
- Additional scholarships announced on Friday:
- Chloe McDougall from Highline High School received the $20,000 The Seattle Tacoma International Airport (STIA) Scholarship
- Osmat Shamdeen from Mount Rainier High School received the first $6,000 TinShip Scholarship
- An original poem written by Ms. Plotke’s AP English Class, HHS (see it here: YouTube)
- Roger Levesque and Brian Schmetzer from Seattle Sounders FC wowed the crowd with a “header challenge”—they headed the ball back and forth for donations!
- A thoughtful thank you from Outstanding Alumnus award recipient, Monique Matheson, who drove up from Portland where she works for Nike, to accept the award. Ms. Matheson shared her Highline story with the group.
- The surprise gift of two First Class tickets on Alaska Airlines to Outstanding Teacher Heidi Jacobson-Beal
- And the honoring of the following 2016 Highline Schools Foundation Gold Star Award winners:
- Rookie Teacher of the Year, Meagan Fleming, Parkside Elementary
- Outstanding Volunteer, Jill Mudge, Gregory Heights Elementary
- Outstanding Professional Staff, Ila Hewitt, Global Connections High School
- Outstanding Administrator, Robin Lamoureux, Principal, Parkside Elementary
- Outstanding Teacher, Heidi Jacobson-Beal, Beverly Park Elementary
- Outstanding Alumnus, Monique Matheson, Highline High School, Nike, Inc.
Highline Schools Foundation exists solely for the purpose of providing resources to the 20,000 students in Highline Public Schools. Our mission is to raise funds, gather resources, and build partnerships that support the students in Highline Public Schools. Annual events, like the Gold Star Awards Breakfast, Burien Brat Trot and Oktoberfest Dinner and Auction raise critical funds that benefit every student, in every classroom, every day.
Photos by Andrew Crain Photography
2016 Gold Star Award Breakfast Sponsors
Thank you for your investment in the future of our students!
Premier Sponsors: Alaska Airlines, Dan and Claudia House, The Tin Room, The Boeing Company. Executive Event Sponsors: CenturyLink & The Partners Group; Gold Sponsors: Highline College, HMS Host, King County Housing Authority, Seattle Sounders FC; Corporate Sponsors: CHI Franciscan Health, Cox Financial LLC, Integrus Architecture, Rotary Club of Des Moines/Normandy Park, U.A. Local 32 Plumbers & Pipefitters; Community Sponsors: Auto Warehousing Co., Bassetti Architects, Brown & Brown of WA, Cedarbrook Lodge, Ferguson Wellman Capital Management , Foster Pepper PLLC, Highline Education Association, JTM Construction, Marvista PTSA, Powell Custom Homes and Renovations, Recology CleanScapes Inc., SCAFCO , Sessler, Inc., SGS Glass; Friends of Gold Star: Hargis Engineers, Inc., Marine Container Solutions, LLC , MicroK12, Stoneway Concrete.